1.24.2012

Driving Mrs. Brekkie

Hey y'all! I'm back from a wonderful, quick trip to Salt Lake City.  The trip was wildly uneventful! All of my five flights were on time and I sat next to incredibly normal people on all but my first flight.  On my flight into Atlanta, I sat next to a man who was teetering on the edge of having major hearing loss and a woman with a trach.  You know, the little tube that is surgically put into someone's neck and airway in order to allow them to breathe.  They have to plug the hole with their finger to be able to speak, but it's still really hard to understand.  They were nice people who really wanted to talk, which was just terribly awkward on a really loud airplane.  Thankfully that was a short flight, not even enough time to drink my whole Grande Skinny Caramel Macchiato.

I took lots of pictures in Salt Lake, mainly because the snow was wonderful!  There were small areas of gathered snow in some parts of town when I arrived, but I was unimpressed.  On Saturday we were driving back into town from a little adventure and it started snowing!  Baron said I was squeeling, which I will never admit to, but it was pretty cool!

By Saturday night there was about an inch or two of snow all over the ground.  We played in the snow and took lots of pictures, I'm sure people were thinking "Dang Floridians!", but it was so fun.  I can't tell you how many times we slid on the sidewalks. Thankfully, neither of us ever ate cement.





Kid from A Christmas Story?!

In hopes of not totally boring you, my wonderful readers, I'll break up my posts about Salt Lake City in a few posts.  Today, let's discuss driving in Salt Lake City.



First off, let me say that I am very pleased to have grown up in Florida and not run into too much snow in Alabama yet because I'm not sure that I'll ever go anywhere when it happens.  I realize that in states like Utah, there are plans in place for when snow covers the roads.  In my short time in Salt Lake I was schooled in snowblowers, salting the roads, snowplows, and chains on your tires.  Thank goodness we didn't have any incidents while driving in the snow, and by we, I mean Baron.  I had a personal driver :)

We did have a few moments of tension in our cute little 2012 Ford Edge (thaaaaaaank you,  Budget Rent-a-Car) but after pulling over to clean our windshield and waiting until no cars were coming before sliding down an exit ramp, we both remained calm and arrived home in one piece!

I cannot possiblly capture the amount of snow that was at this gas station!


I was SO happy to know that we had covered parking to come home to, because most cars were driving around with several inches of snow all over them.  I've never appreciated a parking garage more than I did the one at our hotel!  Speaking of our hotel, it was a pretty suite deal. Haha, I crack myself up!  Baron had a little suite with a tiny living room, kitchen, and bedroom.  They had breakfast for us every morning and a "Welcome Home" dinner at night where you could indulge in complimentary beer and wine with your dinner.  Apparently Utah has strict rules dealing with alcohol and their drinks have a lower percentage of alcohol in them than the rest of the country.  Maybe it was the altitude because I didn't feel like my Chardonnay was any less strong than in good ol' Alabama.  And their coffee?  It was G.O.O.D.  I had to grab a cup or three each morning.




And no, we didn't drive everywhere.  We did the typical tourist thing and walked around the city as much as we could, weather permitting.  On Saturday night, after the big "snowstorm" we decided to walk to a local sushi place.  Okay, imagine millions of ice cold slushies from 7-11 on the side walk, like 5 inches deep.  Yeah, that's what we walked through to get some dang good sushi.  My boots were soaked, and my little tootsies suffered for that King Kong Roll, but it was good!

What? You don't blow dry your boots??

We went to Park City on a little day trip one day, but we'll talk about that in another post! The HGTV Dream Home is in Park City this year, not that I'm encouraging you to enter or anything.  I want to win!!

Hope everyone is having a good week!

We are still waiting on a roadblock about the house.  I think I'll wait to post about it until we get it resolved or we back down and just give them the extra money.  It's just too long of a story!  Basically they still want us to pay for the extra square footage that will be added to the first floor in order to put stairs in for the bonus room upstairs.  Ugh.  This has been SO frustrating.

I'm so glad to be at home with my pups!  I hope you all have a great day!

1 comment:

Jane said...

OMGoodness!!! That picture of your car is UNREAL! I can't believe that. It's so, so pretty but I sincerely hope we never live anywhere with snow like that.