8.19.2011

Mom, will you carry my baby?


I saw on Oprah yesterday that a 61 year old woman was a surrogate for her daughter and son in law who were infertile.  Um....what?!  They did IVF and she carried her own grandson, went through 30 hours of labor and then had a c-section. Wow.  I have mixed emotions.  On one hand it's the nicest thing you can do for a person and such a beautiful, self-less gift, on the other, how could I put my mom through that?  Maybe I've seen too many complicated pregnancies but I don't think I could ever ask my mom to do that for me. Or say yes if she offered. But I guess you don't know until you're in that situation.  The daughter and son in law had been through several trials of IVF and each time it ended in heartbreak.  I can't imagine the pain of infertility.  I truly can't imagine it.  It was a beautiful thing that this mother did for her daughter and the little baby was just perfect.  Everything went well and the grandmother is back to "normal" after a few weeks.

I texted my mom and asked if she'd ever do that for me and I'm not sure if the "haha" or the "nope" came first :)

No comments: